Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Side Note

I forgot to mention another "Unschooling" issue that has come up in our house. Besides homeschooling I am officially "unschooling our home" in some aspects, including food. I let the girls choose what food they want in the house and when they want it. Usually Evie makes good choices, except when we actually have junk food in the house and she knows it (chocolate..etc..) but usually they eat a good diet. It came up this weekend from a family member and again last night with Chris, that the girls should "not eat treats unless they've eaten dinner, or if theydon't eat NOW, then they don't eat LATER even if they are hungry"
Ugh. NO. no. and no thanks.

Let me ask YOU this. Do you eat only when people tell you to eat and exactly what to eat? I didn't think so. If my child is hungry later, say at 8 PM instead of at 5PM, I will let them eat. I am not going to send her to bed without food simply because she didn't eat when I asked her to.
Also, if she grazes throughout the day and wants a popsicle in the afternoon, before YOUR idea of when "dinner time" is. THEN GIVE HER THE POPSICLE!
I don't keep a ton of junk in the house, so the choices they make are usually healthy, but if she wants a popsicle in the afternoon that is fine. Sometimes I actually have chocolate or candy in the morning> Can you believe it? What about coffee? Do you drink coffee in the morning? What if I told you you could only have that AFTER you ate your spinach with breakfast! ?

Ok that is all. Moving on.

No comments: