Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Homeschooling Update

I've been having so many conversations lately with people regarding schooling, people from all walks and ages of life.
I don't find myself feeling like I need to "defend" our reasons for homeschooling, more that they are concerned for their child and if they are learning enough or frustrated with the testing going on in schools. People are often surprised to hear I went to school to teach and after many internships in public school systems, seeing how much they have changed and then leading my own independent study on Waldorf and then Emergent curriculum, decided not to teach. (That and I couldn't find a job without a Masters degree, and I was pregnant!!) ;)

I told one mother the other day, "If I'm technically a teacher, why would I send my child to daycare so I could sit in a classroom and "educate" other's children?"

Anyway, wanted to put in some updates on Evie as she is quickly showing interest in some things...

Letters: She has not been one to show interest in letters but the past week I find her looking to "spell" her name and words and pretending to sound things out. All this means is that when reading I'll focus a little more on the sounding out and pointing out of words/letters. For example, this morning, we made Pancakes together. In the cookbook she helped me find the "P" in the index. See, no curriculum needed!

I've always been a strong believer in letting kids use and hold real world tools, with anything, if parental supervision around there is no need to worry. So, Evie has been using real scissors for a long time. She now can cut out pictures and squares!

Rory follows Evie's interests and it is so need to see her looking up to her big sister. :)

No comments: